Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Side Effects

Through all the vaccines I've had (Covid, flu, tetanus, now shingles) it wasn't until my 2nd shot for shingles that I had any significant side effects, other than a sore arm. I had a headache for a solid 36 hours I think. I also had some achiness in my back. No ibuprofen or naproxen helped. It was consistent though not awfully consistent the whole time. The worst of it occurred when I had down time; sitting at my desk, laying in bed; driving. Needless to say, when I got home yesterday I just didn't have it in me to exercise and it was raining so I didn't get out to walk Scout either. I started to feel guilty about not doing something but I forced myself to give it a rest and I'm glad I did. I went up to bed around 7:00, read, then turned out the light at 8:15 with Scout cuddled up with me. Although I woke up several times throughout the night, I managed to fall back to sleep each time (with the exception of the last, at 3:30) and awoke with my headache gone. Thank the baby Jesus. 

So I didn't give an update on Mom yesterday. Things are very up in the air right now. One thing that's arisen (actually it's been an issue since she was hospitalized), she has a UTI. This was mentioned - barely - in the notes from the hospital (on basically the last day she was in Riverside) which means she didn't get treated for it. They hadn't sent orders to the rehab facility to put her on antibiotics and as she kept showing signs of the confusion that comes in the elderly with a UTI, Maggie finally convinced them to test her. Lo and behold...UTI! The other issue that has been consistent with her (since Christmas) is that she's complaining about a pain in her side. I don't know if this is the UTI or something else (kidney stones?). 

Regardless of all this, they are planning to possibly start discharge orders for the weekend, which would give her until Monday in the facility, unless we can convince them to keep her a bit longer. In the meantime, we all find another place for her or decide if going home is a possibility. I can't see her going home right now. She would certainly have to have in-home care but realistically, how much care would they give her? An hour a day? And if she stops eating again, we'll end up back where we started. I'll be interested to see how her antibiotics, if her antibiotics change things significantly. 

So my plans: I've offered to Maggie to come for the weekend (I'll take a 1/2 day Friday) but if she isn't up for that, I'll go up for the day on Saturday. Trip will go up for a few hours on Saturday and hopefully, together, we can come up with a plan. Fingers crossed. 

And that's about all I've got. I need to stop and get gas on the way to work so need to close this out. Dinner tonight will be leftovers I believe.

Happy Wednesday. Later!

No comments: