Friday, January 05, 2024

Ducks In A Row

I'll be getting a lot of my ducks in a row over the next couple days as I get ready to...(sob)...go...(sob)...back (sob)...to (sob) SCHOOL...WAHHHHH!!! I can't believe 5 1/2 weeks away from that place have come to an end. I'm not going to say that I'm looking forward to going back but I will say that it will be nice to get back to a routine. I'm also going to look forward to giving Jim "To-do" lists that will be on his shoulders, rather than mine. Some of these include keeping the house clean (he can do that) and organizing the basement. He needs to go through shit and put together piles for throw away, donate, and keep. There is way too much shit in our basement that is not needed and while he's rehabbing, he can get that shit done. And if he doesn't? He might be sleeping in said basement! 

I also, finally, contacted a financial dude about putting some of my savings somewhere worthwhile. This is the guy that Charlie and Maggie use and he's also helped to organize my mom's finances. It's just so stupid to have a large chunk of savings gaining nothing. I'm certainly not going to do anything really risky and I really don't know what I'm doing which is why I need this guy. I'll hopefully be setting up something with him soon to figure some shit out. 

My time in Columbus was productive and exhausting. Maggie and I did a pretty major clean at Mom's house and managed to get things organized (thrown out) so that Mom doesn't fall over all the crap (sorry Mom, if you're reading this) that was scattered around. She really did have a lot of hazards in there. Additionally Charlie set up cameras so that we can see her and make sure she's okay. The cameras allow us to communicate with her as well so if she fell and can't reach the phone she can still call out. Maggie will take Mom to the doctor today to see what's up (hopefully do some blood work) and talk about Mom's lack of appetite and MAJOR anxiety. They will also, hopefully, have resources to help with getting Mom stronger. Maggie's also set up an appointment with a company that will allow the EMTs to go in if need be, I think that's next week. 

I feel really badly for Maggie because it's a LOT! Mom is pretty lucid but there are times when the confusion takes over. Maggie ends up going over there multiple times a day and with everything else, it just isn't a sustainable situation. Much of it is confusion and anxiety. For example, Mom apparently got up last night around 2:30 and called Anne, claiming she'd been trying to get a hold of Maggie and couldn't. (Maggie had no missed calls.) She told Anne that she wanted to make sure Maggie got her to the doctor early. Anne asked Mom what time the appointment was and Mom said, 1:00. The appointment isn't until 2:50 and Maggie and Mom have had several conversations about this. Anne then asked Mom if she knew what time it was. She didn't. Guess Mom needs a new clock that CLEARLY shows the time. (She said she couldn't see her clock well enough.) 

Hopefully, after the doctor, there will be some answers and routes/resources for Mom to get her shit together and get stronger. The not eating thing is, I'm sure, much of the problem with her weakness. She has no problem chowing down on sweets (lemon cake, ice cream sandwiches...no problem) but will hardly touch anything else (protein) that would help build her strength. Although she does like Ensures. 

Plans for today: It's cold as shit out there right now (19 degrees) so I'll put off walking the dogs until it warms up. I've already done my yoga (it was an awesome one with minimal cues...I hate all the talking and instructions sometimes. As long as they give cues using non-yoga positions (i.e. downward dog instead of the the Sanskrit Adho Mukha Svanasana) I'm good) and will head up for the elliptical in a minute. Jim has an appointment today with his cardiologist (1st time seeing him since his surgery) and hopefully all goes well there. He had an echo yesterday and there was no "leakage" so that's good but in reading the chart, I'm concerned about other results. We'll see. 

Other than that, we've got no plans. We might head to Shooters but I want to eat lunch here. Dinner tonight will be grilled cheese and tomato soup. Yummy! 

K - I need to get Jim's ass in gear. He's being lazy and needs to skedaddle to get to the doctors. Happy Friday! Later! 

No comments: