Friday, January 06, 2023

Progress

It was so good to hear about the progress that Damar Hamlin is making in his recovery and that his neurological faculties seem to be in tact. He's still on a ventilator and his lungs are still recovering but the doctors have voiced how pleased they are with his progress. Phew...here's hoping he continues on that path to 100%! 

I feel like I've made progress this week in getting back on my healthy eating/living horse. I did my intermittent fasting Monday - Friday; I'm back to my regular yoga and exercise routine and I've been able to walk Scout every day. I did well with not drinking this week (I did drink Monday but not much) and in turn I've been sleeping like a baby. Additionally, I haven't had to take ibuprofen for the last several days. Bam! Now lets hope I can lose the extra pounds that I seemed to have gained over the last couple months. I haven't weighed myself because I'm scared. I just need to stay vigilant and strong in mind! 

There's a kid, not on my caseload but in 3 of my classes, who I have to talk about for a minute. He's from Puerto Rico and transferred into our school last year. He's autistic and hilarious but a bit strange. He's the one (I think I've mentioned him before) who used to sneak up behind me and whisper in my ear, "Did you miss me?!" He would scare the shit out of me. I finally had to "yell" at him to stop and tell him he wasn't allowed to come behind my desk. Since I've known him, he's worn a mask - still does - which makes it very hard to understand him/hear him (he has an accent though he's fluent in English and sometimes talks so quietly it's nearly a whisper). I would normally rely on reading lips in a case like this. Side note: When pictures came out, they put his set in my mailbox and I thought they had been misplaced because I didn't recognize the kid in the photo. It was "Rico" without a mask...totally had no idea what he looked like. 

Anyway, he came in yesterday and saw a banana on my desk and whispered, "Banana." (He's so weird but I love him.) I said, "Yep a banana." He said, "I have a banana in my lunch too." I said, "Nice. What else do you have? A nice healthy sandwich?" He said, "No, no sandwich. I have a banana, Doritos, cookies, gummies, a soda and orange juice." Wow...not a healthy sandwich or healthy anything at all. Jaysus! What the hell? Is this what his mother packed for him or did he pack this himself? 

This all then made me remember my daily lunch at St. Ursula while in high school: Husman's BBQ chips, a package of King Dons and a Minute Maid orange soda. Sometimes, every now and then when I had the cash, I'd get a can of Chef Boyardee beef-a-roni out of the "heated" vending machine. Can you imagine!? 

Okay well, that's all I've got. TGIF! So happy. Dinner tonight, by the way, is a pinto bean soup. Yummy. No plans this weekend except to relax, watch football, go to Shooters, and probably out to lunch somewhere Saturday. Later!

No comments: