Tuesday, March 02, 2021

I Mean WHAT?!

I forgot to mention, the other day, Jim and I were watching TV and a commercial came on that neither one of us paid attention to initially. And then as the commercial ended, Jim said, "Was that just a commercial for booking a vacation in Saudi Arabia?!" So he rewound it and sure enough, it was! I mean, what!? The crazier thing about this is that it comes on the heels of the finding that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is responsible for Jamal Khashoggi's murder. I mean, sure, Saudi Arabia looks beautiful but as a woman? Am I about to plan a trip where women can't get passports or choose their own husbands or are politically repressed; where domestic violence is accepted and in fact, husband's basically have guardianship over women and can essentially to to them whatever they want. Um...no! I don't think I'll spend my money supporting the economy of a country like that! 

I also forgot to mention my meeting from Friday. You know the one with the needy parents. To recap - this is a smart kid who has been failing his classes. I think he has a number of issues (in no particular order): he's crazy immature (okay that might be his number one problem); he's having a hard time dealing with certain aspects of our new Covid world, particularly when we go remote; he's uber afraid of people thinking he's stupid, which means he won't ask for help which then causes him to miss work which then causes his grades to fall and make him look stupid (he doesn't see the connection). Anyway - we got together to try and figure out a way for him to bring his grades up and rally for these last two weeks of the quarter. It was a meeting, not to harrass him but to find a way to help him. As the meeting progressed, the kid, bit by bit started shutting down, visibly. Eventually it came to a head with him yelling out at his parents, "YOU'RE THE WORST FUCKING PARENTS!!!" He then stood up, faced us all, yelled out, "I HATE YOU ALL!" And then stormed out of the room. It was really pretty comical. And the funniest part of it was, after the parents left and it was just me, the guidance counselor and my VP, the guidance counselor said, "So, that was the first time I've ever met so-and-so" (student's name). HAHA! 

I really do need to write a book but will have to wait until I retire. 

Dinner last night was amazing (Chicken Bolognese). Tonight I'm making pork chops with a new side dish (brussel sprouts and gnocchi). Should be good.

And that's all I've got. (Cutting this short because Jim came downstairs to fill his pill case and is distracting me because he feels he has to talk to me...it's like he doesn't know me at all.) Happy Tuesday! Stay the course and keep safe and healthy. Later!

No comments: