Monday, June 30, 2008

In Search of Eden

So, I've finished The Echo Maker by Richard Powers. I'm thinking that I didn't like the book. I read it through but could have (maybe I did) skip about 100 pages of what this layperson calls wordy bullshit. I guess I'm not intellectually keen enough to see the intricacies of the plot and the parallels that blah blah blah...Seriously, could this writer be more pedantic? I mean the sheer wordiness was enough to put me to sleep any number of times (actually, it did put me to sleep). Now, I know that I should probably be saying something highly intelligent about a "Pulitzer Prize nominee" but there is a reason he didn't win the prize. I'm just not sure why it was nominated. Now this isn't to say that someone else may find it to be a thrilling (I don't see how that is possible) and unforgettable (what the hell was it even about?), however, this reader hopes to get lucky with her next pick.

So, my next read is In Search of Eden by Linda Nichols. This is novel about a woman who regrets giving her baby up for adoption and as a result cannot commit to anything in her life as she moves from place to place. She ends up in Virginia where she meets a cast of characters (namely an 11-year old named Eden) who will hopefully, finally give her what she is looking for: a home and a place to call her own. This is a book I'm hoping will give me that "feel good" feeling that I didn't get from my last book.

Okay, I'm off to a nice hot bubble bath to start my recent read. Later.

No comments: