First let me just say WOOT! Dad gets discharged today! I'm so happy he finally gets to go home! Here's to continued progress in the comfort of your own surroundings! Can't wait to see you on Thanksgiving!
So, I have this student in my ELA and Government class (he's not on my caseload) and he's fine. He's a nice kid. He does his work. He doesn't participate much but he listens and almost always knows what's going on in whatever we're doing. He's a bit of an odd bird as well. He will often come in and tell me random things which I can't understand because his speech is very slurred. He actually sounds drunk most of the time. It's part of his issues. They've worked for years with him to slow his shit down so that he doesn't skip over words. Literally he'll tell me something and I'll say to him, "I have no idea what you just said. Slow down and try again."
Yesterday was one of those days. He comes in at 7th bell and says, "Blobity blobity bloop. Bloop bloop bloop!" I said, "Sorry?" He said it again and once again, I had no clue what he'd said. Finally, I caught on that he hadn't been in the bell before for more than 5 minutes because he'd been in the guidance office. I was all like, "Okay." And to myself I thought Why do I care? Well then I figured out that this was just a preface for what he was going to tell me next. Apparently he's planning on taking CCP classes. These are college credit classes that students in high school can take to boost their credits toward college. Typically they either take them at a local college or they take them independently during the school day. In other words, these are classes that are geared toward students on the college track.
I don't know if you noticed but I explained earlier that I have this kid in ELA and Gov't. In other words, he's performing well-below grade level. In fact, as a sophomore, he's working at a 6th grade instructional reading level. So, knowing that, and knowing this kid, when he said he was going to take CCP classes I said, "Hmm...I'm not sure that's a good fit." He explained that he was still going to be enrolled in all his other regular classes but he was going to take sign language. I said, "Oh, okay. You do what you want." I didn't say it snippily...I just was basically saying not my call; you do you.
Fast forward to this morning when I get an email from someone who I don't know. It's not his father or step-mother and she doesn't have the same last name as this kid. She also doesn't explain who the hell she is but she doesn't have a hard time threatening me. Basically her paragraphs long email reamed me a new asshole and told me (and my VP) that I was bullying this kid. She quoted me mostly correctly based on what this kid told her. Although she said I said, "CCP classes aren't a good fit." I actually said, "I'm not sure CCP classes are a good fit." Not quite sure the truth is bullying. Sorry if that pisses you off. I'm a truth teller. Sorry you don't understand that this kid struggles. Sorry not sorry. And by the way, who the fuck are you!? I don't know you. I won't respond to this email but I so want to email back and simply say, "Who are you?"Jim and I got the big shop done last night for PIB. I've started getting shit together and will continue with that tonight. I need to take the turkey out of the freezer and make French cake batter. I'll do that tonight. Dinner by the way will be chicken cordon bleu and some leftover rice and mashed potatoes and broccoli.
Two weeks from today, Jim's surgery will be over and hopefully he'll be on the road to recovery.
Okay - I'd best get going. Happy Thursday! Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment