In PIB news, Jim and I will be heading up to the Bay on the weekend of the 1st. Aunt Muir and Uncle Stan will be up there but they're fine with us coming with Sami and we'll be able to help them open up the cottage so that's good.
I spent some time yesterday putting together a Google calendar for signing up to go to the Bay. It's a clearer and fairer way for everyone to put their weeks in. I shared it with Becky and she really liked it so I'll share it with the Wests next. The biggest hurdle in putting this to use will be Aunt Muir and Uncle Stan since they aren't as technologically savvy as some. It's so easy, however, if you can text (which Aunt Muir does) you can use/view this calendar. I think it will take a lot of the pressure off her plate.
I had a major issue with one of my students yesterday (Linguini...my autistic senior. Although at the time, I didn't realize we were in crisis mode). Long story short, he lost his shit (not to me) regarding a paper that's been assigned in his Fantasy Lit class. The rough draft is due on Friday and when I went to work on it with him yesterday, he couldn't handle it. He only huffed and puffed with me and then asked to get a drink. He was gone forever and during that time, he called his mother (I found this out later). Apparently he lost his mind with her - crying and asking her to bring an anxiety pill to him - however, when he returned to class with me, there were no tears. Interesting.
Fast forward about a half hour when I went to my next class (I'm always a little delayed getting there because I go to the office with Horshack who sorts the mail) and Linguini hasn't shown up (I have him two bells in a row...do you feel sorry for me yet?). Then I see I have a voice mail from his mother and she's telling me she's coming to bring him a pill. As I'm talking to Lisa about this, my phone rings and it's his mother. She's had to take Linguini home because she can't calm him down. She's had it. She's done and she's ready for him to be done with school. (Yeah, me too...and Kim!) She's not sleeping and she's VERY worried about his mental state (hmm...then why has he not been in therapy for the last 4 years as this has been the norm for him!?)
In the end, I talked to his guidance counselor who talked to an administrator and the decision was made that he'll come to school for bells 1-4 (as long as he gets a doctor's note saying this is needed) starting today. He'll do an independent study for English and that will be that. Can't say I'm not relieved I won't have to deal with him for the rest of the year. I do feel badly for his parents but I'm telling you, they do him a complete disservice in coddling him and not giving him methods (therapy) for dealing with these difficulties in life. He learns NOTHING in how to cope and as he's getting older, it's getting worse.
Oh, and he's deferring his diploma and going to the career center next year (my last IEP). Not sure that will work out. He won't have any academic classes, just the lab, but I'm sure he'll find a way to make that an issue as well and his parents won't do anything to make him deal...I'm sure he'll just quit and work at Kroger the rest of his life. Though truthfully, this might be the best thing for him, there's nothing wrong with it and he likes his job. Ugh!
Okay - on that downer, I'll mosey. Happy Wednesday! Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment