Jim news: He made it through a whole 8-hour day at work. So happy! He's up early again to get to work before heading to the hospital to FINALLY get his drain out. Now, if I get a phone call saying they decided to keep it in longer, I swear, I'm going to rip that thing out myself! I know Jim's excited to be able to sleep on his left side again...fingers crossed that all goes well and that all this time means he's DEFINITELY recovered.
My meeting yesterday was a bit of a shit storm but only because the kid had a total freakin' meltdown. Everything I've been telling the father about his kids emotional state was proven true. The trigger was the word "autism". Our school psyche was going through the evaluation and was talking about the kids history. Several years ago he went to the Cincinnati Autism Center and our psyche used to work there and she asked him who his teacher was and he just lost his shit. He said, "I don't know why you're doing this and why we have to talk about this! I don't want this and didn't know this was going to happen..." and he backed up in his chair and just shook his head and kept saying, "I'm not talking about this!!!" And we were all (me, my district rep and the school psyche who were in person...everyone else was zooming) sitting there with wide eyes saying/thinking, "What the fuck just happened!?"
From there, the evaluation continued without any questions or discussion with the student. The parents went after each other a couple times. Mom made sure to point out that the dad didn't do any of the surveys that were sent to him and dad made sure to talk about a choir concert the night before that the mom wasn't told about and so didn't get to attend. When the IEP started, I asked the parents to allow their kid to leave since he was just continuing to crumble. They agreed and when he left, I made sure to explain that this was the type of behavior that I had been witnessing through the year. Dad wanted to blame it on the word "autism" being used and I made sure to tell him that when he's lost his shit with me over the last quarter, it didn't have anything to do with autism. Without saying, "Your fucking son is losing his shit, not on medication and needs therapy!" I pretty much made that clear.
The rest of the day with the student was okay. I talked to him in my room afterwards and he seemed okay but then spent the next bell with the nurse. His French teacher came to me at the end of the day as well and told me he was a basket case in class (she had been at the meeting too). Poor kid...his dad really is doing him a disservice and all because he doesn't want his kid on medication. Some people just don't get it.
And that's about all I've got. Time to get a move on. I need to get Scout down here to eat because he's being a turkey. Happy Thursday! Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment