I actually slept until the alarm went off today. I normally don't do this. Usually I wake up around 4:47 and hop out of bed then but today it was 5:00 and I feel like I'm walking around in a fog. AND!!! I went to bed around 8:00 last night. I'm just so tired! Just that time of year. Well, at least it's Thursday and this week is almost a wrap.
And yesterday ended our week and a half of testing. If I had confetti I'd throw it up in the air. Yesterday was the government test (which I taught this year for my history class). Desi was funny. He took his sweet time on part 1 which was 21 questions (I think) and then for part 2 I guess he was DONE because he took it in 7 minutes (22 questions I think). Then afterward, he asked what grade he got on it. I explained to him that it doesn't receive a letter grade and I tried to explain that it's a state test and part of graduation requirements etc. And then about a half hour later he asked if I had graded his test yet. So I explained AGAIN that it is a STATE test and the state deals with the grading and that results wouldn't be in until, probably, after school lets out. (Students often get their results when they pick up their schedules in August.) I think he's going to be mighty disappointed when he sees his score. Ah well, what are you going to do?
I think I'm going to have to take a break today with yoga. I pulled a muscle or something in my tricep and had a really hard time yesterday going through my routine - mainly plank and upward dog or cobra. I think today I'll take a break and maybe take a walk instead. We'll see.
My meeting yesterday with the parent went well. She's a very supportive of teachers and doesn't buy all the stories her son tells her but I know she's also very concerned about the place he's in. I expressed to her my deep concern for him as well and without saying it right out, I made it pretty clear that I think her son is in a dark place (drugs, alcohol, depression etc.). She is fearful of all that too but doesn't know what more she can do. I think she's trying to support her family (she works 70 hours a week supposedly) which makes it hard to be there for her son. Anyway - he'll be back Friday and I'll have a little chat with him so he understands my feelings and expectations as well as the fact that I don't "hate him" and am only frustrated because I know he's better than what he's showing of himself.
And that's all I've got. Time to get a move on. Happy Thursday! Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment