Friday, January 12, 2018

Nurse Muir


So I can’t remember if I mentioned in my last post that Jim is now on insulin. Basically, the steroids he’s on can cause steriod-induced diabetes (type 2 I believe) and of course, Jim hates being left out. Hopefully this condition will go away when the steroids are cut out but that will be a while and it isn’t a given. This means that he’s currently got a glucose monitor and he’s got to check his sugar 4 times a day (before meals and at bedtime). Yesterday when we were at the docs and the nurse was helping us with the first run-through for the check and shot, his sugar was 600. YOWZA! When I told my neighbor that she couldn’t believe they hadn’t admitted him.

Anyway – by bedtime, Jim’s sugar was down to 348 and it was up to me to give him the shot (and prick his finger). I was nervous but it was so easy and Jim didn’t feel a thing! AND!!! I did it again this morning! His sugar this AM was 306. So that’s good. I’ll feel better when we have this closer to normal and in the 100s but I’m not sure that will happen anytime soon. Or at least not while he’s on the solumedrol.

We still don’t know about the weekend. We’ll find that out today. I actually ended up taking a half day so we could move our appointment up due to the expected weather on the way. There’s supposed to be ice and then snow starting in the afternoon. In fact, school is closing 2 hours early today. This means that the half day I had put in for (and hadn’t been picked up by a sub) was pointless. So I canceled my absence and emailed the powers that be at school assuming they would prefer to pay a teacher to cover for me during the one period I’ll be gone. Truthfully, Diane could do this as she’s in my class with me and we’re just watching HP. And with the bad kids gone, I’m wondering if she would even mind. We’ll see what happens.

Okay well, it’s currently raining cats and dogs and it’s in the 50s. Within the next couple hours, however, the temp will fall to the 30s and Armageddon will hit. Hopefully, by then Jim and I will be home from the doctors and hunkered down in front of a TV with a fire going.

Happy Friday and happy 3-day weekend! Here’s to a quick morning and good news from the docs. Later!

No comments: