Man - if it isn't a lumpy headed dog, it's a bagel-eating dog, or a bitchy dog; an allergy ridden dog and now a lame, ligament tearing, possible tumor ridden dog. Not good. Pray for my baby Zekey by the way!
So, recently (I don't know how much I have written about this - probably a bit of denial there) Zeke has been limping and moving a little slower. I mean, he is 14. In addition, I've noticed a weight loss. The limpiness that I had noticed has been bad for about a week and so I told Jim Sunday night to call the vet and make an appointment for Monday and I would take him after school. He made it for 4:30 yesterday. When I got home, Zeke met me at the door out to the garage - or at least he tried. He pretty much couldn't walk on his rear right leg and so I ended up taking him on his leash out front and carrying him inside. He could barely move.
At the vet when I weighed him, he was 47 pounds - 6 pounds less than the last time he had been to the vet. Not good...6 pounds for a dog his size is like 20. Anyway, the doctor questioned me about what was going on and when I said his limp had started about week ago, he immediately got on his hands and knees to feel his leg. Immediately, he realized that Zeke had torn his ACL. The only treatment (aside from no treatment) is surgery. The vet, however, was more concerned with his weight loss. So, he suggested blood work to see if his levels told us anything about his weight and then an x-ray of his rear end to make sure there were no growths, tumors etc. Well, the x-rays were clear - very little arthritis etc. Good news there. The blood work, however, was not perfect. He has slightly elevated liver enzymes. This is the bigger issue which could be a sign of many things, including cancer. So! Before we do anything about the leg (what would be the point if he's got something as horrible as cancer), we need to get an ultrasound to see if there are any tumors in his abdomen. We will do this Wednesday.
In the meantime, Zeke is completely limited on where he can go in the house. We are currently carrying him up and down the stairs and taking him either out front or out the side garage door to pee/poop. He does not like being picked up but c'est la vie little man! You are at the mercy of your mama and daddy! We're also gating off the stairs (top or bottom - depending on if we're in bed or in family room). Zeke apparently woke up 3 times last night to go out (barking from his pillow at the bottom of our bed) but interestingly, I never heard him. Jim was good enough to take him down and out each time.
Currently Zeke has been given his pain pills (which don't do much but seem to make him a bit more comfortable and sleepy) and is hanging in the FR with me on his pillow under his blankie. Every time I look at at him, he wags his tail! I love him! I think he wants a fire in the fireplace and I'll have Jim get on that ASAP. I called in sick for today but alas, they did call a snow day for today! Yeah! If I need to call in tomorrow, I will - depending on how well Zeke does today. I hate leaving him alone so we'll see.
Funny enough, Zeke's spirits still seem high. The vet tech told me that when they were giving him his x-rays, holding him down, he would randomly start wagging his tail and then lick the tech at his head. I told her this may have been some passive aggressive payback on his part considering his breath is pretty lethal! He's still got an appetite and I'll be feeding him as much canned food as he'll eat, which I'm going to go do right now. Fingers crossed please...say your prayers...he's such a good baby! Later


3 comments:
Praying for Zeke! Make sure you take off tomorrow and take care of him if he needs you to.
All of my prayers and good thoughts are coming Zeke's way. Give him a kiss for me. Kathleen
Kim - yeah, isn't it a good thing I have plans all ready! I still haven't decided about tomorrow though...we'll see how tonight goes.
Kathleen - Thanks for the prayers and kisses - he can use all he can get!
Post a Comment