Tuesday, September 12, 2023

The Sleep Of Babes

Realistically I don't ever sleep like a baby anymore but it was as close as you can get last night. I went up early because after dinner, Jim went back into work and I was bored but I laid in bed and read for a bit. Oh and I did take a couple of nighttime cold pills which may account for my deep sleep. Jim got home around 8:45 which I don't think I heard. I got up once at 9:30 to use the facilities and then next thing I know I'm hearing Boo barf and my alarm goes off at 4:20. Bam! I wish I could sleep like that more often. 

In dog news, these boys are giving their momma a hard way to go. If it's not Scout's poor paws, it's his refusing to eat. And then when I finally get him to eat, Boo keeps getting sick and not eating. I mean what the heck is going on!? While I was doing yoga this morning, nearly into my Savasana, Boo came over and started kisses the beejesus out of me. This is his signal for needing to go out. So I cut my practice short and went to help a poor boy out. He seems fine now...he readily took his chew stick (demanded it) after my shower so fingers crossed. I really need my boys to shape up though!

Oh, update on the annoying email I got yesterday. Let me preface by saying the kid didn't come to school yesterday which was fishy to me. Anyway, I mentioned it was the mother that emailed and demanded a meeting, right? However, she doesn't have custody of the kid and I couldn't find her name ANYWHERE in our system so no way in hell was I going to respond to her and instead I called grandma. We talked and she told me that apparently her grandson was telling her that while we were working on sight word reading, I told him that it was "ridiculous that he didn't know these words". I mean really!? I told her, "Those words nor any like them ever came out of my mouth, nor would they." She then backtracked and said, "Well, he did say he 'thinks' that's what he heard." Yeah, right. First of all, I have MANY more students who are worse readers than this kid. And I know it's not something they can help. They need practice and repetition and patience which is exactly what he and I were doing last week. I knew he was frustrated a couple times sounding things out and I kept saying to him, "You're doing great! Don't get frustrated. That's why we're doing this." 

In the end, grandma was fine. I kept reassuring her that her grandson was doing great and working hard and his grades were proof of that (he has all As). She kept saying to me that he was coming home anxious and stressed and I finally said, "What's he anxious and stressed about because he isn't coming home with homework is he?" And she answered, "Well, no I guess he's not. I don't know." (He gets his work done in class or with me in GI.) I don't know either. Maybe you need to pump him up and tell him how great he's doing and how he can do more than he thinks he can. Stop telling him he can't do things.

And then I called the mother after gma said it was fine. Ugh! I know she was trying to push her weight (I have no idea why she doesn't have custody but gma has had the boy since he was 6 months old.) but she really doesn't have a foot to stand on. I told her that his placement in the classes he's in is appropriate. (I think they want him back into the MD classroom which isn't the least restrictive environment.) At one point, she said, "So are you refusing to have a meeting with us?" I said, "Of course not. I never said that, I just wondered what you were hoping to gain from it because he's not struggling in his classes. He's keeping up with work. He's not overloaded with homework. His grades are great." She couldn't answer. So, I have to set up a meeting now. I'll do it some time today for next week. I might be a little passive aggressive and wait until the end of the day to set it up. Or maybe I won't play games. We'll see how I feel. 

Dinner: Jim's going to come home for lunch to check on Boo and then will probably work late so I think I won't make dinner. We'll see. I'll make something for my dinner but I'll figure it out later. 

K - best get a move on. Happy Tuesday! Later! 

No comments: