Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Because I Said I Would

I said I'd post and so I will...today. But this will be my last post for a long time. Maybe for good. But truly - who besides the 4 or 5 people who read this will care or even know? From here on out, I want to put the computer down and pick up the phone or look someone in the eye. I feel like we as Americans have forgotten what it is to have a real connection with each other. I feel like we've forgotten what it takes to be truly human with each other by stopping, putting down distractions and listening to what's going on in our lives. I've made an effort lately (especially at school) when I'm talking to my colleagues to stop, turn away from my computer and look at the person talking to me. And so I'm going to take control of that part of my life and just see because it feels suddenly like things are spinning out of control.

And yes, this has a lot to do with what just happened to the country. I know that we are strong and I hope we will get through this. And believe me, I know this isn't about just one person but rather the country as a whole. But this outcome? We've just taken a hundred-year step backward in our progress and it makes me so sad. I love my country but but this election has just shown how truly sexist, racist, homophobic and hate-filled so many in this country are. We've got a pathological liar about to take the helm of the most powerful nation in the world and I'm scared shitless. People say they want change but they choose a person to lead that will send us back to a mindset that took us 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 years to climb out of. That isn't change or progress! That is regression and it's utterly frightening.

And maybe a couple of you reading this voted for Trump and I apologize if this offends but I'm so sick at heart by what those votes mean about the people of this country. In this day, in this year of 2016 it can no longer be okay to tout things that spread hatred. Saying loathsome things about someone because they are fat or poor or black or Islamic or gay or a woman or because they have a handicap, that is not okay. It isn't human. It is base and ignorant and makes you unworthy of this great country that was built on differences. A vote for a man who has boisterously and vociferously said such horrible things about all those types of people is very telling about the people who elected him and the direction the country is taking. And I'm especially sad that people can't even see this about themselves. I hope this country can come together and keep this hatred at bay but right now, I'm just sad and feeling a bit hopeless.

I thank God that I live in a country where I have the right to vote and I'm especially glad that we have a democracy with checks and balances and separation of powers because I have a feeling they are going to be well used over the next few years.

I hope that people will look around and then inside themselves and see that much of what is wrong with our country isn't created by the government or the career politicians. It's created by intolerance and hate and it has to stop.

And so I sign off after 10 years of writing this blog. Thanks for reading.

No comments: