So Jim's appointment yesterday was certainly frustrating. I had a feeling that things would go the way they did. With all the crazy appointments and referrals and no one calling us back, it was bound to be a shit stormy day.
As a reminder, Jim's appointment yesterday was a consult with the thoracic surgeon. We weren't sure what the consult would be for but had a feeling (based on what Becky had told us) it would be to set up a VATS procedure. And lo and behold it was. The doc came in (we waited a good 30-40 minutes to be seen), got a bit of history and then stated that she wanted to schedule a VATS. This would entail a 2-day hospital stay (typically) and then Jim would be off for 2-3 weeks. Chest tube, pain meds blah blah blah. UGH. So she finishes and I say, "By the way, we got a call last Tuesday to schedule Jim for a CT biopsy. It's set for the 9th." The doc: "What? You did? Oh, well. Huh." In the end, obviously, that would be a better option (less invasive, less pain, less time off work, no hospital stay) than a VATS. Sign us up for a biopsy please. Oh, wait, we already are. Hopefully the biopsy will be successful in that they are able to get tissue to test. The doc said that if they scheduled a biopsy then most likely someone saw that as a likely option. If they can't then we will have to do a VATS. I'm praying that isn't the case. From there (if the biopsy is successful and if this is cancer) Jim will be treated medicinally.
Here's the thing that pisses me off and scares me (aside from everything Jim's dealing with), if it weren't for Becky and me having a resource to ask questions or tell me this that or the other, would I have asked the right questions? Would Jim just be automatically scheduled for a VATS when a biopsy could do the trick? Would he have gone through both without us knowing what the eff we were doing? Because aren't the docs who are supposed to be consulting each other supposed to know more than the patient? And the fact that Jim has no idea who is calling the shots in this whole thing is scary too. He has no idea who he should be talking to and who he needs to call with questions. By the way, this is his job today - to call his oncologist (who I think should be "in charge") and talk to someone who can be his point person. He definitely showed his frustration yesterday with the doc and I'm glad I was there to translate (Jim isn't always clear when he gets irritated and I speak Jim-glish).
Okay well today is going to be a day, I'm sure. I have a 7:30 IEP which I hope goes smoothly. There will be a lot of people in attendance so I'm hoping it doesn't take 2 hours. I also have no idea what I'm going to have the kids do 1st period while I'm in the meeting (video it is). I have a million papers to grade today from yesterday too and UGH!!! Exams are in two weeks. I need to get a move on! Which means I need to get to work.
Happy Tuesday. Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment