Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy 75th MOM!!!

Happy birthday to my mother, the greatest lady I know.  I hope you have a great and relaxing day. 

So I thought that on this day I would share with my readers (all 5 of them) some of my favorite moments and some of the things my mom has taught me in my 42 years (I mean 75 is a major accomplishment and cause for celebration).  So here we go:
  • First and foremost, one of the best things my mom taught me was a love for cooking.  From early on, I remember sitting in the kitchen watching my mom cook.  And she was always patient in explaining things.  I remember getting up in the early morning hours on Thanksgiving to watch my mom dress the turkey.  She would pull out all the innards and let me handle them while explaining that I was fondling the neck, or liver or heart.  To this day, I still make the meals I grew up with (Johnny Marsetti, beef stroganoff and my mom's chicken salad) because, well, they are delicious but also because I'm always trying to recreate that taste and love created by my mom in the kitchen. 
  • One of my most favorite times growing up was when my mom would tell me stories of when she was growing up. She would tell me stories of her and Aunt Sister (her sister) and the crazy antics they would get into and I would make her tell them to me over and over. Skunks that were thought to be chickens and Prince Edward in a can.  Stories about her mother and father. I'm not a parent but it was such a great way to get to know who my mom was - other than just my mom and I hope parents still actually do this.
  • I loved travelling with my mother. Going camping to Merle Fest or to Bar Harbor, Maine or to the finger lakes in New York; Myrtle Beach. Sitting by the fire and drinking wine and talking. I remember the hilarious time when she had to crawl into the camper where I was sleeping because her tent was either wet or Richard was snoring...I can't remember. Anyway - she promptly fell asleep and apparently started dreaming a wolf was chasing her.  This, of course, got her "running" in her sleep which then caused her to start kicking me.  We had so many laughs and one on one times together and I thank her for that.
  • There's nothing in the world that is music to my ears more than when my mother's laughs.  When she really gets going, well, it makes me crack up just thinking about it.  I love her laugh.
  • There is so much compassion inside my mom and I hope that I have a fraction of that from her. 
There is so much more my mom has taught me and so many great memories...I could sit here all day.  Happy birthday Mom!  I love you!!!

3 comments:

maggie said...

One of my favorite memories is sitting around the piano and singing songs, especially at Christmas time.

Panchopup said...

Thank you both for being great kids and wonderful adults. My children and grandchildren are my greatest joy and accomplishment.

Panchopup said...

Thank you both for being great kids and wonderful adults. My children and grandchildren are my greatest joy and accomplishment.