Saturday, December 02, 2023

Jim Scared Me

I was floundering around in bed this morning just before 5:00 when suddenly my phone started ringing. It was the ring tone for Jim and it scared the shit out of me. Of course if something were really wrong, it wouldn't be Jim calling but initially, I wasn't thinking straight. Turns out, Jim was awake and in his chair and wanting to talk. We chatted for about 5 minutes before he wore out and we hung up. He just wanted to tell me that A) He'd gotten a new chair; one that fit him and B) He needs me to bring in his dopp kit with his tooth brush. He also told me that Dr. Locher would be in early today because he has an emergency. I'll be interested to see his notes today. I'm hoping they'll take his chest tube out today. I'd imagine that will be the first step to him getting out of the ICU. 

Yesterday, when I went to visit Jim, he was in a bit of a state. He was a little weepy and seemed down. They'd started lasix which causes you to pee a lot. He's still got a catheter and I don't know if the nurse didn't check his output and empty the bag or what but he ended up having an "accident". Add to that he didn't sleep well and hadn't eaten who can blame him for having a minute or two of downheartedness? He said that he's constantly getting woken up from all the activity and I told him he needs to keep his door mostly shut. I was there for about 4 hours and he slept most of the time. By the time I left, his spirits were much better. 

After leaving the hospital, I went to the grocery then came home and walked the dogs. It was still kind of spitting outside but it was good to get the boys out. I then did some things around the house and made some French cakes. Finally I laid and lit a fire and hunkered down to watch GBBO and some Christmas movies. After a lovely bath I went to bed. 

Plans for today: I'll make breakfast here in a bit (avocado toast) then walk the boys. I'll head to the hospital for several hours, probably around 9:00. After that, who knows what I'll do. I should make myself dinner tonight but I don't know what to make. Maybe something with chicken. Or maybe I'll make fish and chips. That sounds good. 

Speaking of: I went to the hospital cafeteria yesterday for lunch having no idea what to get and then I stumbled on a baked potato bar. It was so yummy! I might have to do that again today. 

Okay well, I'm just waiting for the doc to post his notes after he sees Jim. Fingers crossed he's still progressing. Happy Saturday! Later!

No comments: