Friday, February 06, 2009

The Mercedes Coffin by Faye Kellerman

So I finished The Tenderness of Wolves. I really enjoyed it. Most likely because I love historical fiction and mysteries (not to mention that the writing was really good and the story was fascination - see previous post). It was a quick read with a lot of small stories within the main story - enough to keep the wandering mind occupied (plus the chapters were really short). It was really interesting to see the number of newcomers to this continent in the time period of the book (1876). Interesting to read about the mixing of different cultures from Norwegian to Scots to Native American to French. As well, there was some interesting information on the Hudson Bay Company which I would love to research to see if there is truth in it. Anyway, I certainly recommend.

I'm now on to the latest Decker/Lazarus novel by Faye Kellerman. This series is one of my favorite. Peter Decker is an LAPD lieutenant and Rina Lazarus is his wife who just happens to be Jewish (he converted when they got together). This is the 17th in the series and I'm never disappointed with the twists and turn that send the reader through the investigation. This one is a 15-year old cold murder case. The victim is a beloved guidance counselor at a local high school. He was found murdered execution style and found in the trunk of his Mercedes. The case comes back into light when Genoa Greeves, a wealthy computer mogul with fond memories of the victim as a counselor, offers the LAPD a seven-figure charitable donation to reopen the case. I started this last night and didn't want to put it down to go to sleep. I'm sure it'll be a quick, delicious read. I'll let you know.

No comments: