Friday, November 14, 2025

Snake Wrangler

Actually, that title is a misnomer. Jim tried to be a snake wrangler yesterday but it didn't go as planned. 

Let me rewind. Yesterday as I chit chatted with Lisa prior to school starting, my phone rang. It was Jim. Apparently our sump pump is on its way out. So after work Jim bought a new one to install. I think you can imagine where this is going. As I sat on the couch relaxing (much needed, more on that later), trying to watch Doc, Jim was in the basement intent on replacing the pump but making a hell of a racket. After several minutes of banging around and unintelligible yelling, he came stumbling up to the family room in a sort of panic. Snake #3 had made it's way into our basement. Yep, #3. 

Backtracking, Jim has thankfully been the one who found them all. The first he beheaded, the second, Jim managed to save but this third one, well, Jim tried to save him but Nagini wasn't cooperating. The problem was that Sir Hiss was in the "pit" and as Jim put it, he was a "slippery little fucker". Additionally, he kept doing his strike thing at Jim which of course freaked him out. (BTW - while all this happened, Jim yelling and generally making a ruckus, I was giggling my ass off upstairs.) After about 10 minutes of Jim trying to grab him (he has a grabber thingy, like someone in a wheelchair would have to reach things high up) he finally yelled up, "GET ME THE SHOVEL!!! THE ONE WITH THE FLAT EDGE. GOOD FOR LOPPING OFF A HEAD" Poor Nagini/Sir Hiss. I guess it was just his time. 

After all was said and done and Jim's heartrate came back down I said, "You know all this is your fault. You should have blocked the sump pump cover when the first snake made it's way into our home." Oh, and of course he didn't have all the needed items to replace the pump so that will have to happen tonight. Thankfully it isn't raining and things are fine. Hopefully another snake won't make it's way inside. 

This morning I woke up at my normal time (4:20) and realized no way did I have it in me to get on the elliptical. My feet are killing me. Why? Well, even though I kicked ass yesterday after work, I overdid it in regard to my tootsies. I got home and walked Scout and then rushed out to mow the lawn. My plan was to just do the front yard but after completing that, I had some gas left (literally and figuratively) and the sun was still slightly up so I decided to go out back and do as much as I could. In the end, I was able to get the whole thing done, which ended up being 5.21 miles (that includes walking Scout). My feet were burning and numb. So, this morning I decided "Fuck it, I'm taking it easy." 

I was watching a thing on Instagram this morning and there was a video of JD Vance walking through (I think) Central Station. As he did he was heckled relentlessly. People were yelling things like, "YOU'RE A PUSSY VANCE!!!" and "GO FUCK A COUCH"; "YOU SUCK", "FUCK YOU COUCH FUCKER!" It was awesome! I hate him almost as much as I hate trump. I know that's awful but they're awful. Best case scenario...

Safe travels to Maggie and Eva today as they're headed to NYC. Although she just sent me a text saying the plane is already delayed (50 minutes). Hopefully that will be the extent of it. Safe travels to Trip as well who's headed to Columbus to spend the weekend with Birdie...and Mom. Have fun everyone. 

School should be easy today. It's movie day in ELA and then the students in history are completing their introductory crossword puzzles on WW1. I know these sometimes confound them but they seem to like them and are always on task and helping each other when I assign them. 

Weekend plans: Nothing much except we need to actually follow through with finding a new recliner. I keep saying we're going to do it but then don't feel like it when the time comes. Other than that, and lunch out, nothing. I'll definitely be getting in my spa. 

Dinner tonight: I was going to make Italian Penicillin soup (I'd never heard of this until Lauren told me about it) and grilled cheese but I'm not going to feel like making it after work so I pulled some chicken rice from the freezer. 

Okay best get a move on. I need to snuggle with the boys first though. Happy Friday. Later!

No comments: