Thursday, September 04, 2014

Some Things You Don't Want To Hear

So I haven't shared many "student comments" this year so I thought today would be a good day. 

Horshack is one of my autistic kids...sometimes he doesn't have a filter.  Example?  The other day, he stood up quickly from his desk and came "racing" over to my desk:  "Mrs. Hanke can I go use the restroom...I feel something coming out?!"  Me: "REALLY!?  JEEZ!  I don't need to know that Horshack...just GO!"  Later he did the same thing to Lisa.  She ended up having a little talk with him. 

Ike (another autistic student) came over to my desk yesterday, just before LA started and asked to go to the nurse.  Now, when a student asks to go, we have to fill out this little slip of paper - a pass - which has a list of ailments.  We are supposed to check the ailment the student is suffering from.  So I say, "What's wrong?" And Ike mumbles something, "...hurts."  Me: "I'm sorry what?"  Ike: "My thing hurts," as he points and pokes at his "thing".  He continues, "I want to see if that's normal." Me (thinking): Uh, no, not normal...need a drink!  I was telling this story later to a couple people and Mark (another sped teacher) said, "I just hope he wasn't sticking his thing somewhere...in someone." Me: "Pretty sure it was self-inflicted."

If I could request, my friend, colleague and roommate at school: Lisa, I'd like you to add to your list of lessons in Transition class - "Things You Keep To Yourself".  Other lessons she'll hopefully be tackling this year: How Not To Dress Like A Slut (especially when you certainly don't have the body). How Often You Should Shower (BOYS!)  How To NOT Pick Your Nose.  Understanding That You Are Not Invisible And When You Pick Your Nose, Ass, Face Etc., People Can See You. 

I'm sure there will be more to add to that list but for now, I'll just leave that in your brain.

K - well, Jim's out already (working with his friend Dan today and hopefully tomorrow)...I best mosey on upstairs to finish my "toilette".  It's almost Friday!  YAY!  Later!

No comments: