Friday, July 25, 2025

Humidity

I'm listening to a book right now that takes place in Georgia and the narrator/author described the humidity down there like walking around with a blanket on. I'm going to revise that and say it's like a wet blanket engulfing you when you walk out there. Seriously miserable. I left here extra early today to walk Birdie and she barely made it one lap around the park. I knew she wouldn't be able to do her normal walk (through the neighborhoods) but I was hoping for two laps. Poor girl. I'm sure she's exhausted and wondering what the fuck Mother Nature's problem is. This summer's heat has really been awful. 

It's currently 7:30 and my plan is to hit the road by 9:00. I was going to stay later but there's a big system that's going to hit this area by 10:00 and I want to be well south by then. Hopefully there won't be any rain on my way back home. 

Yesterday was a good day. I mentioned that I was taking Mom and whiskers to the vet and that went off without a hitch. Although the appointment was at 10:00 and we probably didn't get into a room until after 10:30. It was fine though. I will say that if I had to hear mom talk in Whisker's voice one more minute (saying the same thing over and over again) I might have stuck a pick in my ear. She kept saying, "Momma...I'm a good girl! I was such a good girl at the vet." And then Mom would answer as her, "You'll have to tell your sister, Dina, how good you were." And then as Whisker's she would answer, "SHE'S NOT MY SISTER!!!" I finally asked mom, "Why is Whiskers such a bitch to Dina?" She didn't have an answer for that. 

After we finished at the vet I dropped Whiskers back home (Mom was concerned I was going to leave her in the car while we lunched. She obviously thinks I'm a cat murderer...maybe she was confusing me with Maggie...hee hee) and we headed to Houlihan's. Mom got their potato soup and that was a whole thing. First of all, she told me she was going to order the tomato bisque but then ordered the potato. When it came she was eating it and she said, "I don't know what this is but it's delicious." I said, "It's their potato soup." Mom said, "I'll have to remember that so I get it next time I come." I said, "You've had it several times. I'd say the last two times we were here together you got it." She said, "I don't think so but, whatever." I wanted to say, "Mom, do you think I remember correctly, or you?" But I refrained. 

After lunch, mom was yawning and I dropped her home. From that point on, I was in the pool...until about 3:00. I watch a movie, ate dinner, read and went to sleep. 

Plans for the day: Once I get home I'm hoping the weather holds so I can get a swim in. No way in hell will I be walking my boys today. They'd be miserable anyway and their paws  couldn't take it. Dinner will be barbecue chicken (my neighbor brought me my favorite sauce from Michigan which is a cherry BBQ and so freaking good), zucchini and probably yellow rice. Aside from that, we'll probably just hang at home. 

Tomorrow there's a memorial service for a guy Jim knew growing up, Scott Steins. He was a Cliftonite. He was actually a good friend of Karmen's and Kristyn dated his brother. I was just reading his obituary and wow did he have a full life even if he was only 60 when he died. Worked with Hilary Clinton on her healthcare plan, studied in Cambridge, was a administrator at a hospital in Cambridge and then worked for the government, specifically USAID. Anyway, Jim's got some friends in from SF and they'll be going to the service tomorrow and then who knows. 

K - time to get my shit together and head out. Happy Friday! Later!

No comments: