I mean what could be worse than a hot spot between the toes for a pup? After posting yesterday, I took a good look at Scout's foot (back right) and saw that it wasn't a nail issue but rather a hot spot between his tootsies. I ended up calling the vet and telling them that I wanted to change my appointment. Though he needs a nail trim, he wasn't properly drugged and I didn't want to put him through that stress. As it was a hot spot that needed looking into, which takes a doctor's expertise rather than a vet tech, the appointment was moved to 5:10.
Poor sweet Scoutie! He was so nervous. While we waited, he calmed down and they were so gentle with him but he was shaking like a leaf initially. In the end, the hot spot wasn't nearly as bad as the doc thought it might be. Originally he was going to have to have injections of steroids and antibiotics but that wasn't needed. They sent us home with some pills instead and did a little laser therapy for pain. He'll be on meds for a week and hopefully this will clear up quickly.
With him being on steroids and then the licking issue I was very aware of him last night and sure enough, at 2:00 he woke up and needed to go out. He peed for a straight 2 minutes I think. When he came back in, he had a hard time getting settled and just wanted to lick his paw. I ended up putting a sock on his foot so he'd leave it alone. He finally went to sleep with us and didn't get out of bed until I did around 6:00.
He's having a hard time keeping away from his paw but he's good about not licking when I tell him "no". I took his sock off because he won't walk properly with it on and if I'm around it's fine but at night and when I'm gone, he'll have to have his sock on. I told him, better that than the cone of shame on his head.
I'm not sure if I'll walk him. I might give him a little stroll up the street with his sock on if he'll walk with it. Otherwise he might feel bummed (seeing Boo go on a walk and not him) but the doc said for the next few days, he shouldn't walk his normal walk. I knew this though. I hate to see him in pain but he's so good and doesn't make a peep.
Happy Good Friday by the way...for all those who celebrate. Jim's working today so I'll just hang at home and clean. Maybe take a nice bath...read...watch TV. Tonight Doug, Lauren, Jim and I are going out to dinner. I managed to get reservations at Rodi. I thought for sure we'd not be able to get in but when I went online, they had a 5:15 and a 9:00. Obviously I took the 5:15. Love that place! Can't wait!No other plans this weekend beyond tonight. We'll probably do our Shooters stop tomorrow since I'm sure they're closed on Sunday. I stopped at the grocery yesterday on my way back into town and got the makings for Easter dinner. Just the usual ham, au gratin potatoes, and asparagus. Nothing elaborate but still delicious. Beyond that, we'll just be home, keeping an eye on Scout and enjoying my last couple days of spring break. How did it go by so quickly!?
Okay - happy Friday! Happy Easter! Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment