Wednesday, December 28, 2016

That Dick Melanoma

Yesterday SUCKED! I mean, I knew the diagnosis (stage four melanoma) and I've read the statistics on it (though with all the new treatments, who knows) but watching Jim hear it was hard. Jim was really clueless about what he was facing and that was the worst part of yesterday's appointment. When he heard the word "incurable" from the doctor, he checked out. I could see it in his eyes and face. And when she said that some of her patients with melanoma are still alive 5 years later, well, you can imagine how hard that was for both of us to hear. Added to that, the doc was double booked, our appointment was for 1:30 and we didn't see her until 2:30, it was a lot of stressful waiting for shit news.

So here's the next step for Jim: On Friday he'll go for an echo(cardiogram) and EKG to get a baseline for his heart health (the meds he's going to be put on can cause heart damage). That will be at West Chester hospital. Then he has to drive ALL the way down to UC Clifton to get another PET scan (to see the growth rate of the nodules). Then on Tuesday (Jan. 3) we have a follow up appointment with the oncologist (once again she's double booked so that should be another fun wait). At this point, she will put the order in for the meds. I asked her to do this after the new year because I knew the meds would be ridiculously expensive and wanted them ordered in the 2017 insurance year. Needless to say, we'll meet the deductible with just the one prescription (half of one really). The one med, dabrafenib is about $9500 for a prescription of 120 tablets and the other drug, trametinib is about $10,500 for 30 tablets. Awesome! Considering Jim will possibly be on these for years, I have to say I'm so glad we have an HSA!

The long run: after a year and a half on the two meds, Jim will most likely start an immunotherapy. There is also a clinical trial that the doc is looking into. The good news is that Jim can still get his hip replaced in March! Woot! We'll have to stop his meds for a minute but the doctor said this is no big deal.

And that's all I've got to say about that...for now. I'll apologize now for the amount of time this cancer will probably occupy my mind and blog...right now it seems very all-consuming. Jim and I have both said to each other that we don't want this cancer to become the center of our lives but it's hard, you know? It's so new right now.

Today: Jim will be on 2nd shift the rest of the week. Though I don't like that, at least we get to spend the days together. This morning around 11:00 we're going to brunch with his sister and brother (First Watch in Hyde Park) and then we'll just hang. I've got to figure out our plans for New Years Eve (dinner plans). I'm thinking a nice filet mignon (maybe oscar style). So hungry right now! How am I going to wait another two hours to eat!? UGH!

Okay - best go shower. Happy Wednesday! Later!

No comments: