Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Stupid Parents

So I have a student on my caseload - a freshman, newly qualified for sped services, transfer from a private school where she went all her life. Dad is the only parent - mom passed (I don't know when, how etc.). She qualified in February for services but because she was at a private school they didn't have to do an IEP. Which means that lucky Muir gets to write one without knowing this kid or having any real info on her. Oh, and BONUS, the student is a bitch on wheels and wants NOTHING to do with special ed (which I do understand...the stigma and all that). I met with parent and student after school in the first couple of days to see what was what especially since she's not in any sped classes thus not getting any services (not allowed, technically). It was discovered then, at this short meeting that the student wanted nothing to do with sped and dad is a wishy-washy parent who can't stand up and be the adult. Long story short, I told them to go home, talk about what they wanted out of this and if they wanted nothing, then I would write a skeleton IEP and they could refuse services.

Fast forward to a week later where we met on another matter. Basically dad was given the advice to TAKE services since if he refused, he would be in the boat of requesting the whole process to start over (request for testing, qualifying her, writing an evaluation, THEN getting to the IEP). Dad asked me what my thoughts were on how his daughter's schedule would change. I told him switching her out of her regular study hall and into mine was an easy change since her study hall was at the same bell as mine. This was last Tuesday. I said, talk it over with her (she wasn't at this meeting), get her ready, we'll start the schedule change Monday (yesterday).

Yesterday - 4th period - new student is supposed to show. No show. I emailed the guidance counselor who had made the schedule change to see if she had sat down with her directly. I also emailed her father to ensure he had talked to her about it. The guidance counselor happened to be talking to her at that point and emailed that she was finishing up and would be on her way in a few. Five minutes later I get the email that she's "on her way". Ten minutes later, she still hasn't shown. Another 10 - nothing. I email the counselor again. And as I'm doing that, I get an email from the father saying: "I did not do a good job talking to her about it. I forgot over the weekend and mentioned it this morning. I didn’t know the room number to tell her where to go. She texted me. She is upset."  Gee - really. Awesome! What a good dad you are! F&%king Pu$$y!!!  He didn't forget! What a jackass.

Hopefully today she'll show and I can chat with her...apologize for the misunderstanding - trying NOT to throw her dad under the bus which is what I should do...what I want to do...but I'm guessing she's got her dad's number as it is...no point.  Parents are so stupid.

Okay well - I best mosey - I have a teacher's meeting before school...boring. Later!

No comments: