So I posted yesterday about "Keaton" who is continually "inactive" in my classes and/or finding ways out of class. He skips class and nothing happens. He sleeps in class and nothing happens. As long as he isn't on his phone, I've basically been told to let him be. Well, yesterday he actually showed up for 6th period. The assignment for the whole week has been to work on the study guide for the exam. All the kids, except Keaton were doing just that but of course, Keaton was being disruptive. I told him (nicely) twice that if he wasn't going to do the work, he needed to sit and be quiet and let the other kids complete theirs. After the 3rd time telling him to stop being a distraction, he gets up, crosses the room and sits with all the kids who are working. I said, "Nope. Go back to your seat. They need to complete this." So he gets up and strides toward the door and says, "I'm just going to go to the office." I said, "Bye." He then took offense to this apparently and said, "What the fuck!? Bye!"
I then typed out an email telling the admin in charge and the attendance secretary that he had CHOSEN to leave class...I hadn't sent him and there really wasn't an "issue". I then sent a separate email to my admin to tell him what happened. I ended my email with: "How long are we going to continue to allow this behavior to continue? What is the end game here? Keaton's behavior, more and more, is changing the dynamic of my class and the behavior of others. We need to figure something else out."
The end of the day comes and in waltzes my admin. He plops the novel of mine he brought with him on my desk, with an exasperated sigh, I glance back, see it's him and say, "I'm done. I don't know what I'm supposed to do here." He then acts like he has no idea what I'm talking about and says, "What?" I proceed to say, "I can't do this anymore. I'm having to take so much time out of my day every day that Keaton is here to either track him down or fill out paperwork because of his behavior or ignore his antics while reprimanding others who try to follow his lead. He gets to do whatever he wants and his bad behavior has no consequences." He then said, "What do you want me to do?" I say, "I want you to do something! I want to know that I'm being backed by my admin. I want you to answer my questions!" He said, "You didn't ask me anything!" I then referenced my email and said, "This can't continue. There have to be ramifications for what he does or doesn't do." Again he asked me what he was supposed to do. I yelled, "I don't know! You're the fucking admin here! Figure it out! We then proceeded to yell at each other. I dropped a couple of "What the fucks". He kept asking "What would you have me do!?" It was so fucking frustrating.
In the end, we calmed down, he apologized to me, I accepted his apology and said, sorry myself for all the "what the fucks" but I did tell him I'm not sorry for expecting something here. I told him this couldn't continue for anyone. This gerbil wheel we're all stuck on has got to stop. He agreed and we both agreed we needed to get through the rest of the sememster and start new in January with a sit-down, come-to-Jesus talk with Keaton. We'll see if he follows through. I mean, he can't want this either as half his day is taken with either tracking K down or getting yelled at. Ugh!
Needless to say I'm fucking thrilled it's Friday and this time next week it will be my last day before break. Also needless to say, I'm not cooking tonight. I told Jim that and told him to decide what he wanted and he chose to go to Mint (an Asian fusion restaurant nearby). Fine with my...it's delicious.
No real plans this weekend except to make French cakes and clean the house.
Happy Friday. Wish me luck today. Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment