Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Sometimes It Is Too Late

What a great book this would be!
So I have this student on my caseload - a freshman - who is a pill. She's a little shit but pretends to be all sweet and kind. Originally she was in person but was quarantined about 17 times (pretty sure many of those days out were bogus) and then once the 2nd semester started and her grades in Algebra started slipping she and her mother decided she'd go online. Part of the problem here was she's, like I mentioned, a bit of an asshole and was totally rude and insubordinate to her Algebra teacher (refusing to do work in class and on her phone CONSTANTLY even after she'd been specifically told to put it away). Since going online, she's more and more just not shown up for her classes via Zoom (almost never showing for Algebra) and her grades have slipped steadily to the point where she now has 5 out of 6 Fs. I send grades on Mondays to parents and will list the assignments missing if any. When I sent her grades yesterday I basically said, "There are too many assignments to list them all here...check PB for specifics." I mean week after week she just keeps doing less and less. 

Well, yesterday after mom got my email (where I said 24 days until the end of the year) and once again saw the reality of her daughter failing for 4th quarter I got this email: 

I think [daughter's name] needs to come back to school face to face. Is that an option?
Today, she was out because we had to drive to Indiana due to my mom being in the hospital. We didn’t get home until 2 something today.

Thank you and please advise.

I don't know how many times I have to tell this woman that this isn't my decision and she needs to contact the administrator. Not to mention I advised her NOT to move her daughter online in January. She didn't listen to me then, why is she asking me now? How about a little follow through? While you were in the car on your way to Indy, how much work was done? There are always excuses with this family and I'm so over it.
  
I'll get to school today and reply something along the lines of, "this isn't something I can decide...it has to go through Mr. M. I've attached him to this email." Annoying.

Yesterday after school was quite lovely. I came home, did dinner prep then mowed the lawn. While I was doing that, Jim got home which meant after mowing, we walked the dogs. I then hopped on my bike and took a really nice bike ride around the neighborhood. Dinner was flank steak with potatoes on the grill and roasted broccoli. I'm loving this weather. Tonight's dinner will be crab cakes, tom/mozz salad and corn on the cob. It'll be in the 80s today so I'll take another bike ride after school. Oh, and I'll be giving the boys a shower too. They are filthy and it's time! 

And that's all I've got. Time to get a move on. Happy Tuesday! Stay healthy! Later!

No comments: