Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Sami Update

It was a rough day yesterday. I got up, called the vet and was able to get an appointment for 10:00. I lazed around and just kept an eye on my girl. Around 9:00 or 9:15, she came running downstairs and headed outside. I followed her and saw her dry heaving in the yard and she had more diarrehea. I snuck up to see how her poop looked and saw blood in it. I said, "That's it!" and hightailed it to the vet early. At that point I was very emotional but I managed to hold back my tears as I explained to the vet tech what was going on. In the end, the vet decided to do blood tests, including a test for pancreatitis. Most of her levels were in the normal range but a couple were elevated but that could be because of the virus or whatever she's fighting. They also gave her a shot to help with her stomach, subcutaneous fluids, antibiotics and some canned food to take home. The said is she wasn't improved by today, they would have me bring her back in and they would do x-rays.

When we got home yesterday, I immediately gave her a pill which she took with a bite of dog food. She wouldn't take any more food but doc said if she took a bite every couple hours, that would be fine. She slept all day (as I finished a quilt...shown). When Jim got home, she greeted him while lying down but she wagged her tail a lot! That's a first for a while. Eventually she drank water twice without prompting and though she wouldn't eat more than a nibble of her canned food, she enjoyed a couple bites of hard boiled egg.

I left the sliding glass door open overnight so she could go out on her own. I know she went out at around 11:00 and 4:00. She definitely seems better so that's good. I'll be anxious to hear the pancreatitis test results but barring that, I don't think she'll need to go back in. Fingers crossed. I'm really anxious for my girl to feel better. She's so pitiful. UGH!

Jim works second shift tonight so that sucks but at least he'll be able to help me keep an eye on Sami today. Not sure what the day has in store. I'll probably finish another quilt and hang with my girl.

K - day 2 of vacation is under way. Time for breakfast. Happy...what day is it? Wednesday! Later!

No comments: