So yesterday I get a FB message from Kim asking if we (Diane, Lisa and I) had seen the story about a teen murder-suicide right up the street from school. We hadn't but as the story went on and I saw the street that it occurred on I said, "Oh shit!". Originally, the sherrif's would only release general info, nothing concrete. He also would only say that they were from the area but he didn't know exactly where they went to high school (he was 18, she was 17). Eventually, we found out that indeed, the male went to Kings and was one of our kids. In fact, he was in my 5th period study hall last year. Troy Penn was his name. A kid I would never have guessed would do such a thing. Of course how can you guess anyone could do such a thing. The girl went to Little Miami - a neighboring high school - and sadly, it was her birthday yesterday. How sad and tragic.
On a separate and happier note - well not really happy because it deals with the start of school - I got my invitiation to the staff luncheon! When the ladies and I were messaging each other yesterday, I thought maybe I had been dissed - it's always a possibility - but alas, it came in the mail but I hadn't checked my mailbox. Interestingly, the luncheon is at a nearby golf course and me being the cynical person that I am wonders how much this is costing. I know I shouldn't go there, I should just be "grateful" for the hospitality paid to our staff but seriously...in this economy when the fight is passing levies and keeping teachers secure in their jobs, isn't this a waste? I mean, they're having it at a golf course where they have reserved a banquet. Was that donated or was it paid for by the district? And maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and passing judgement when I don't know the facts but I think if there is wasteful spending...it should be questioned and curbed. Not that we as a staff don't deserve it but...you get my drift.
K - I'm off my soapbox. I need to head out now and walk my baby Sam. She's all angry because her brothers already went on their walk and she thinks I'm going to diss her. She does this every day and gets all fussy with me. I tell her EVERY DAY, "Don't worry, we're going!" She's currently laying in a chair in the living room looking forelornly out the window. Love her!
Later! Happy Thursday...Paul McCartney tonight. Hope it's good! Hope my seats don't suck (they shouldn't!) Before hand should be fun too - Phil (Castellini) got a suite for a bunch of people to hang prior to the concert. Pays to know people sometimes. (That's me name dropping...sorry...I'm not usually that kind of person...am I? I don't think I am...especially when I really don't know anyone. It's really that the people I know who know "people".) Anyway - I'm out...later!

1 comment:
Ooooh, a suite. Well, well, well!! :-) John and I will be hanging out in the upper deck. Ha!!
And I thought exactly the same thing about the luncheon - waste of money. They had better not be telling us that they have no money when they do stuff like that. Even if it was donated, it just doesn't look good. Oh well!
Post a Comment