Thursday, January 08, 2009

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

So, I finished Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell. Let me just say my faith has been restored. One of my favorite authors is back in my good graces (I'm sure she was worried). She has totally restored my love of her craft. Her book was everything I needed it to be. After reading it, I almost get the feeling that she wrote her last book in such a despicable manner as to reel me back in with this one. Seriously, I feel like her last book "Book of the Dead" was written in such a way, leaving me pissed off, so that I would be completely redeemed with this one and hooked once again with the characters and their outcome and happiness and well-being etc. Perfect. Read it. Get hooked again.

So now I'm on to my next read by an author who's second novel is in my top three favorites of all time: Wally Lamb. I'm curious to see how this one treats me. This one is about Columbine; a scary, horrible subject in itself (especially for a teacher). Here is the synopsis as per Amazon.com:

When forty-seven-year-old high school teacher Caelum Quirk and his younger wife, Maureen, a school nurse, move to Littleton, Colorado, they both get jobs at Columbine High School. In April 1999, Caelum returns home to Three Rivers, Connecticut, to be with his aunt who has just had a stroke. But Maureen finds herself in the school library at Columbine, cowering in a cabinet and expecting to be killed, as two vengeful students go on a carefully premeditated, murderous rampage. Miraculously she survives, but at a cost: she is unable to recover from the trauma. Caelum and Maureen flee Colorado and return to an illusion of safety at the Quirk family farm in Three Rivers. But the effects of chaos are not so easily put right, and further tragedy ensues.

I really look forward to reading this novel - though I don't know why. I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Wally Lamb-this will be my next book. Did I mention that I spent 3 weeks in Maui over the holidays? I think i did. I read Edgar Sawtelle there and loved it. Thanks for the recipe-I am going to make it this weekend. Kathleen

maggie said...

I am counting down to Belize. I can't wait to be on the boat and SCUBA dive for 10 days. I am over this cold weather.

Dogs Mom said...

Evil Aunt Kathleen! Evil Maggie. You won't have any fun without me!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you liked Scarpetta. I agree with your assessment. I liked the characters again and I felt like they were back to the characters that I liked, not the dark, unlikable characters that they were in the last book.