Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ode to Mendelssohn and Hello to Brutus

In explanation: Several weeks ago, I got a phone call from my father telling me that their sweet and faithful companion, Mendelssohn ("Monkey" as we all liked to call him) had had some health issues and they were forced to put him down. He was about 8 years old and young for any dog to die but he unfortunately suffered from a complication that some dogs suffer. He was a beautiful brindle Boxer with the best disposition and more love than he knew what to do with. We all will miss him and remember him forever.

So, having loved Mendel so much, my parents decided to get another Boxer at the end of the summer. Of course they couldn't wait that long and so, on their way up to PIB in June, they stopped and put a deposit on a puppy. Today, they are leaving to go to PIB again and on their way home, July 10, they will be picking Brutus up. This is the name my 12-year old brother picked out (appropriate since Becky is a graduate of Ohio State).

Well last night I dreamt of Brutus "coming home". In my dream, however, he was fully grown, looked exactly like Mendel and I kept accidentally calling him Mendel. Rest assured though, Brutus, we all know you are your own dawg, I mean dog and we will try to remember that while you are being potty trained, losing your baby teeth, deciding whether to be a barker or not, chewing on shoes and other paraphernalia, and living through your puppy stage, you are not Mendelssohn and you aren't trying to be bad.




Couldn't you just die? Too cute!

3 comments:

Dogs Mom said...

I would have posted a picture of Mendel but I only have a shot of his back and one as a puppy that I haven't downloaded yet.

Diane said...

He is too cute! Never was a boxer person but could very well be converted after seeing this baby! I want to kiss his face.

Lisa said...

What a cutie puppy!!!!!