So today is the last day before a nice 5-day weekend and Thanksgiving. You'd THINK that kids would be a little cooperative, thankful and respectful. (I know! After 16 years of doing this, you'd think I'd be a little wise to jackass teenagers! Guess I still prefer to live in a dream world.)
What happened, you ask? Well, in World History, we just finished a chapter and are about to start on the Industrial Revolution. Basically, all year has been leading to this pivotal chapter and of course, I don't want to start it on a two-day week where everything I teach is forgotten. So yesterday I give the kids a little intro packet and tell them that IF they work hard and strive to do this packet well, we will have a free day tomorrow (today) and watch a nice video (a little Little House to put us all in the mood for the holidays...of course I didn't tell them what video so you can't blame behaviors on that!)
Fast forward to 35 minutes into the class period (with about 20 minutes left). Most kids had turned in said packet and I had 2 or 3 still finishing up. One of my kids (who I normally like) turns his packet in and I start grading it...and realized he skipped one whole page (the page with the most questions on it). So I say, "Yo!? You missed this whole page. Come finish it." And he just shakes his head at me. So I say, "You need to do this, here!" Another shake of his head. So I say, "Fine. Take out your headphones," (I let the kids listen to music when we do this type of independent work) and then I say to the rest of the class, "We will not be having a free day tomorrow so prepare yourselves." (I know...I'm mean.) They all get pissy and I say, "Sorry, some of you just don't want to work as hard as others." And they all turn to the jackass and say, "THANKS A LOT!" He didn't even bat an eye...totally didn't give a shit. Ass hat!
Now how pissed am I that I have to do a lesson and one kid ruined it for the rest of us!? But I'm not backing down because I gave a warning and this little f%&ker isn't going to get to throw a little tantrum. Now watch...he won't come to school today. Shit can. Well, in that case, I will show the video. ARG! I hate teenagers sometimes.
So happy this is the final day before break (and if I have to hear Horshack tell me 72 time that he's so excited that this is the last day for before break, I might shove a turkey somewhere the sun don't shine!)
Has everyone heard that I'm now 4% fluent in Spanish?! So excited! Yo como pescada en lunes. (I eat fish on Mondays.) Jealous!? Escribo libros (I write books). Mi perro es negro! (My dog is black.) Of course I can read Spanish much more fluently than I can speak or write it but hey, I'm doing it.
K - well, I guess I better head up and out. Happy Tuesday! Later!

No comments:
Post a Comment